Tuesday, November 01, 2011

NaNoWriMo

NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month which challenges you to write 50.000 words in one month. i have decided to take part this year after seeing something about it on BBC Breakfast.  I will also try to blog on a semi regular basis about how i am getting on. I have started well writing more than the average words per day needed for today ( average need is 1667 per day to get to 50.00. in 30 days). Whether this trend continues is hard to say but its a start. I did make the mistake of deciding to do this abut 3 days before had and spending that time pondering plot lines and main characters. I have my main character or at least the start of him, no idea on what he will face or how he will overcome if he does overcome or anything. Just writing day to day and using the time i spend dog walking with Dave to work through ideas and hopefully get some idea as to what to write that day.

I'm pretty sure most of what i write will be rubbish and that if i ever get brave enough to read it through and try editing it i will be there for awhile. However i feel this is something i should do as i used to be so good at writing when i was younger and i miss being creative. I'm not overly musical or arty, i could do jewelry with mum but shes so much better at ideas than i am. We shall see how it goes, i also want to do it just to see if i can do it, its like with video games I'm so good at starting them but i hardly ever finish one, i can currently think of around only 10 -15 games i have finished. it would be nice to finish even if it is rubbish, also by then Dave might be wanting to read it as he is being my sounding board for ideas and he will be curious as to how I've put keystroke to screen.

Any who, I've spent the best part of 3hrs today staring at a screen wondering about things to write, i now intend to relax and hope for random ideas to pop into my head that i may write them down for the future.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You really ought to start small - I had several failed attempts at Nanowrimo, and will do it one year. I found doing short stories much easier, plus keeps me in the flow of writing. Also, you can use any random idea. Check out Wanderer or Robert's Discovery at smashwords to see what I've done so far.

I still have my big novel plans, just work on it from time to time. Epic Space Opera SF here we go!